ArtHERE – Downtown Yoga Shala
(must cover all costs such as materials, travel, lodging, install and de-install)
This open call is supported by the Downtown Yoga Shala, ZERO1, the San Jose Downtown Association, the San Jose Public Art Program and the National Endowment for the Arts Our Town Grant.
- Data: Wifi only
- Power: regular power sockets
- Usable space: Facade: approx building width 32 foot x approx height 8 foot Side window interior: width 8 foot x height 8 foot x depth 28” Side window exterior: width 8 foot x height 8 foot x depth 28” Main entrance window interior: width 45” x height 71” x depth 28”
Guidelines & Restrictions
ZERO1 and the Downtown Yoga Shala are inviting proposals from local, national or international artists and artist teams for innovative site-specific projects at the intersection of art and technology (new and existing work can be submitted). Artists are challenged to respond to the Biennial thematic Seeking Silicon Valley and re-imagine the idea, the place, and the experience of Silicon Valley. The selected project will be exhibited at the Downtown Yoga Shala from September 12th, 2012 for the duration of the 2012 ZERO1 Biennial and beyond (3-6 months).
The Downtown Yoga Shala is offering a variety of spaces, ranging from the interior and exterior of studio 2’s window, to a full facade activation project, or a smaller scale work in the reception area and entrance window. Only one proposal will be selected to activate one (or more) of these available spots. As the business is a yoga studio audio work or very disruptive installations cannot be selected for the interior spaces. Please make sure that your proposal responds to the environment that the work will be exhibited in. A full 360 view of the interior and exterior of the Yoga Shala is available here http://goo.gl/HMGW2
The Downtown Yoga Shala and ZERO1 will provide the following to the selected project:
- Production advice and basic power/data infrastructure
- Permitting and insurance as reasonable, appropriate and possible
- Marketing and promotion
About ArtHERE: Silicon Valley
ArtHERE Silicon Valley is a new initiative and online tool for Silicon Valley that allows the community to match art proposals with empty and under-used spaces. ArtHERE will launch the project pilot Bay Area wide as part of the 2012 ZERO1 Biennial, with a specific focus on San Jose’s SoFA arts district – the hub of the Biennial. ZERO1 has worked with the local community, businesses and arts organizations to make a series of spaces available that range from storefront windows and building facades, to outdoor projections and park-lets. Artists are now invited to temporarily animate these spaces (leaving no trace afterward) with site-specific installations in response to the Biennial thematic Seeking Silicon Valley. The goal is to use the architecture of the district as a canvas and effectively connect pathways between local businesses and organizations through vibrant and interactive artworks that reflect the creativity and innovation that Silicon Valley is known for. Details of each space are listed individually as open calls.
Jury & Selection Process
The call will be juried by a panel of local arts professionals and community members. Once the ZERO1 Biennial art proposals have been submitted the public are invited to vote on the proposals to influence the jury's selection! While none of the following are strict requirements, the jury will be asked to select projects that have successfully addressed the following factors:
- Artistic quality: Whether existing or new work, the proposal needs to focus on the intersection of art & technology, and respond to the Biennial thematic Seeking Silicon Valley.
- Interactive: As the goal of this program is to activate the SoFA district in San Jose we welcome any participatory projects that will engage the Biennial audience and regular SoFA foot traffic
- Location: The proposals must be site-specific and respond clearly to the given site specs and parameters
- Feasibility: Please review your proposal carefully before as it will be important for the jury to see that your project is feasible within the given budget, site specs and exhibition duration.
The application deadline for this call is May 11, 11pm PST. Selected artists will be notified on/before May 25, 2012. Installation is scheduled to for September 9-11th but will depend on individual spaces. Artists are responsible for de-install on/after December 8th, 2012 – depending on the individual agreement with the Downtown Yoga Shala.
About the Downtown Yoga Shala
In the heart of downtown San Jose, California, there is a place that brings respite to your weary body, solace to your tired mind, inspiration to your sagging spirit. A calm center amid the frenzy of the outside world. A place of light and life, joy and friendship, acceptance and encouragement. A downtown yoga studio that can be your home away from home. A shala — a "sacred space", a place of learning and inspired wisdom. Come in and join a community of warm-hearted, open-minded, positive-spirited people who enjoy the benefits of yoga in their busy lives. Allow your body to breathe life in, your heart to sing, your mind to be free. More info at www.downtownyogashala.com/
For any questions please contact email@example.com